Sunday, May 20, 2012

Spring Cleaning -- Naturally

I've been sick for what seems like months with 3 different bacterial infections and viruses -- none of them the flu or whooping cough -- thank goodness! So because I've barely been able to just do the basics to take care of myself, my home is in need of cleaning -- the dust bunnies are proliferating like the real thing!!

With the economy the way it is, most of us are trying to save and living more "green" is encouraged almost everywhere. What I've found though is like buying organic food, organic cleaners cost more than the old brands we've always used.

I'm continually trying to simplify life as well as costs as I near retirement and thought I would do a Google search for homemade cleaners. I found lots and lots of websites dedicated to organic, homemade and natural.

I'd like to use one cleaner for everything if possible and out of the several possibilities I found, this one recipe is terrific. I'm using this morning in between writing and sharing this and where I've used it, my glass sparkles and the plastics and wanna be wood of stereo and televisions is now dust free.

This multipurpose cleaner is from the Newlyweds Blog. The tutorial for the cleaner is here. It is complete with photos and instructions and very simple. Here is the recipe:

Homemade All-purpose Spray

1 Empty Spray Bottle
10 drops dish soap
10 drops essential Oil (Lavender, Lemon, Orange)
1/2 cup white vinegar
Water


In an empty clean spray bottle, add 10 drops dish soap, 10 drops essential oil (optional), 1/2 cup white vinegar, and fill with water.  Screw top on bottle, shake and use to clean on any surface.
I didn't have any essential oils available so I have a brief vinegar smell and then it's gone. The cost was minimal. I didn't have a spray bottle so I bought one at Dollar Tree . The vinegar and dish soap were in my kitchen. The cost without the bottle was far less than a dollar. I wouldn't recommend using a spray bottle that previously contained some other type of cleaner or chemical. Once the plastic absorbs the smell, etc., I am not sure how it might affect the homemade cleaner.

Have a wonderful and blessed Sunday,

0 comments:

Design your own products at CafePress.com!

Share: