Thursday, November 5, 2009

Vintage on Thursday -- My Custom Prom Dress (1967)

I was fortunate to have both a mother and grandmother who sewed. My grandmother could make anything from a drawing and loved to sew. So each early Spring while I was in high school, she would ask me what ball gown or prom dress I wanted. I drew up a picture of exactly what I wanted, told her the colors and a couple of weeks later, I had a custom made, fully lined gown for my special occasion. I wish I had kept copies of the drawings but I have no idea what happened to them and many of the gowns disappeared through the years. I had younger sisters -- enough said?

This dress is the only one I've kept and moved with me through each stage of life. My bust and waistlines are too big to wear it and even if I could reduce my waist enough to fit, the bust part would still be a problem. Here is a photo of me in 1967 wearing the formal:



 Don't you just love the short mod hairstyle and cat-eye glasses? Here is the dress today, in much the same condition as when I first wore it:


 
 
and here's the back view:



complete with  big bow and chiffon train. The peau de soie is a deep blue with emerald green threads running through. The embossing which is done in the weave is roses as you can see here.


 
 
The same chiffon used for the train embellishes the three-quarter sleeves.



The bow is large and snaps across the back to cover the zipper after it is closed.



As you can see at the neckline, the dress is lined. If you've been around as long as me, I hope this bring back good memories of the mid to late 1960s that you may have and I hope you share yours in the comments below.

A couple of times I thought I might sell this dress but each time I put it back into the closet. Maybe one day I will have a grand-daughter and the style will have returned. However, I won't hold my breath while waiting .

More of my vintage next Thursday (I seem to own more than I originally thought). When I love something and enjoy it, I take care and keep it for as long as possible.

More tomorrow,

Diane xoxoxo

http://dpeagreendesigns.etsy.com
http://dpeagreendesigns.ecrater.com
Tweet Me: @dpeagreendesign
Email Me: dpeagreendesigns@gmail.com



2 comments:

Seth and Libby, Detectives said...

I clicked over from etsy randomly and have to say what a fabulous dress. Don't you dare sell it! Everything about it makes me smile.

DPeaGreenDesigns said...

Awe, thank you Amphora! I hope you keep the article bookmarked for easy access when you need to smile. I guess that is one of the reasons I don't sell it. It does the same for me :)

So what vineyard where do you live. I visited your blog but need to go back to read some more.

Diane

Design your own products at CafePress.com!

Share: